Saturday, 4 July 2015

Day -4 — Yet another Sydney weekend

There are still a few days to go before we leave Sydney. Today is my first one off work. But it mostly feels like a normal weekend, not like the start of 3 months vacation. We have the usual visitors on our balcony.

Male King Parrot wondering why it takes me so long to prepare his breakfast

When this little fella got up this morning, he certainly didn’t dream of becoming the first photo model on my blog.

I spend a bit of time on trip preparations, tightened a few screws on the camper trailer, lubricate locks, unsubscribe from some e-mail newsletters — who needs cheap home loans in the Outback?

A first pack list is composed. Mine is about the optical and electronic gadgets: 2 digital SLR cameras, 2 water-proof compact ones, 2 binoculars, a laptop, the iPad with a “Campgrounds Australia” app, smart phones, walkie-talkies. All with chargers for car as well as conventional sockets. I start wondering: Is this going to be a camping trip? Neil Armstrong didn’t have half as many gadgets on him when he conquered the moon. Modern blessings, I assume — we all can’t do without anymore.

Once again I realise that Sydney weekends almost always feel like short holidays. We have sandwiches at a little café right on the beach, watch the surfers, try —unsuccessfully— to spot migratory whales. No drama, we will catch up with them up at Hervey Bay. During the day t-shirts and shorts are all you need. Sunglasses are a must. But once the sun has set, it gets chilly. In anticipation of the trip we have a campfire in our garden, not bad.

"Look, mum, hands-free!"

Now off to bed reading the book that I have to return to the library before our departure. Another piece of trip preparation.